Post new topic   Reply to topic    Relics of Honor Forum Index -> EverQuest I and II
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oxillion
Kindred
Mark of the Historian

Mark of the Historian
Awarded:

re: Interesting read about EQN and the future of MMO's

Hey Everyone,

Stumbled across this article while deleting my EQN stuff.  

http://intrinsicalgorithm.com/IAonAI/2016/03/on-everquest-next-and-ai-driven-mmos/

Some insight on how things broke and what they could have been. 

Ox

Mark of the Historian
Awarded:

Found another article. 

http://www.tentonhammer.com/articles/the-storybricks-coup-that-almost-happened

Interesting stuff.  Makes you wonder the power of these tools.  Imagine playing an MMO and then it turns into Sky Net....

Ox

Mark of the Historian

I remember when they first hired Storybricks.  That was what really got me excited for EQN and get past the cartoon setting.  Then when they parted ways, it was hard to keep enthusiasm.  I had heard that they tried to buy SOE and Project Copernicus; what a shame that didn't work out.  They might have injected life into the stale MMO market.  A shame they shut down and MMO companies think they need to stick with the same predictable formula.

Oxillion
Kindred
Mark of the Historian

Mark of the Historian
Awarded:

Still trying to get through the EQN thing in my head.  I was really looking forward to that. 

I posted the links on the Pantheon forums to see what the Dev’s are doing there with that sort of perspective.  Brad McQuaid responded:

April 19, 2016 12:30 PM PDT

Quote Report

Too early to go into specifics, but in general Pantheon uses a hybrid data driven/scripting system.  Basic AI for most mobs is data driven which means their race, class, sometimes faction, etc. will define their basic behavior.  But then specific mobs will go further and have 'dispositions' and other advanced AI, which we will often use a scripting system to implement.

From what I could read into and around in this was they are trying a few of the newer options available.   My understanding of how games are created there is a complex layering of effects.  These impact everything from the mobs to the motion of the sun or moon when they pass over.  These types of systems are key to the MMO’s now out and the ones being created.  I t will be interesting to see how Pantheon rolls out. 

I am hopeful the current MMO styles will go to the rubbish heap so we can get back to playing games we enjoy.

Ox

Jump to: