Post new topic   Reply to topic    Relics of Honor Forum Index -> Non-MMO Gaming Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saggio
Sajjio
Kindred

re: Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes

Just dropped in after having been gone for a long period.  Great to see the guild site still active.  It looks like Black Desert is currently the MMO of choice.

As the result of getting older and some physical difficulties I find sitting for hours in front of a computer to be uncomfortable.  As a result, I've decided to switch to mobile gaming to scratch my gaming itch.  The good news is you can game in a comfortable chair, couch or bed, and can easily take your gaming device with you.  The bad news is that most mobile games don't offer the complexity, ease of use and graphics that computer games do from my experience.

I've found a couple of exceptions.  The first is Hearthstone, a strategy card game that has kept my interest for a couple of years.  The second, I recently discovered, is Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes.  It's a classic turn based strategy game pitting your team of Star Wars characters against a team of Star Wars foes.  It reminds me a bit of my favorite computer games using turn based combat from years ago.

The game is supposed to simulate a Cantina in the Star Wars universe filled with gaming tables, each one featuring turn based combat using holographic figures from Star Wars.  While the basic design is simple, they've developed a gaming system that is complex and offers a lot to do and enjoy.

While the team based combat is fun, acquiring, leveling and gearing your characters is also enjoyable.  There are RPG elements to the characters, some are tanks, others healers, damage dealers, etc.  There are even guilds in the game.

All combat is PVE, or rather player versus the computer AI.  What they call PVP is simply playing against a team created by other players, but you're still facing the computer.  All communication with other players is available only via guild chat which is text only.

SWGoH is free to download and play, works on IOS and Android platforms.  I'm playing on a tablet and the graphics and animations are nicely done, but many players use their cell phones.  There is a core of free to play players that claim to do well, but I admit it's been hard to resist some of the packages that are offered to you as a beginner.

If this description appeals to you, it might be worth a try.  I've found the game to be quite addictive.  Reminds me a bit of my early CiV experience where I just wanted one more turn and had difficulty logging off.

If there is enough interest, it would be easy to create our own guild.  I'm also available as an ally, which would allow you to use one of my advanced characters to assist you in some of the battles.  There are 85 levels, I've just hit level 65.

I could not fully understand the appeal of mobile gaming until I found myself needing a gaming alternative, but can now see its potential.

Happy gaming!

Also forget to mention, they've recently added turn based space combat, which adds an entirely new dimension to the game as you develop your ships much in the way you level a character.

“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.”
Notja
Fabled
Mark of the Historian

Mark of the Historian
Awarded:

re: Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes

Saggio, good to hear from you!

Sounds like you need to invest in a gaming laptop complete with laptop stand for your gaming comfort! :)

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Relics of Honor Forum Index -> Non-MMO Gaming Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: