Post new topic   Reply to topic    Relics of Honor Forum Index -> EverQuest I and II
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oxillion
Kindred
Mark of the Historian

Mark of the Historian
Awarded:

re: EQN Article: The Trinity, AI, and EQ:Next – How I Lost Faith

Hey Everyone,

Found a good article on the touchy subject of the Trinity and Mob dynamics.

http://eqnexus.com/2013/12/trinity-ai-eqnext-lost-faith-trinity/

Good article from a design and limits to current games.   I like this approach to the subject.  I think there is a large amount of ground to cover with this but it has some great points why the Trinity needs to go away.   I know there are many that love that aspect of game play and I do too but maybe this will put the fun back into the MMO genre.  I would love to hop on a game and enjoy all the aspects of fighting and healing and flat nuking a mob and get back that old excitement when you do encounter one.  EQ1 was that way for me.  It made you think twice about jumping into a pack of skeletons even if you were a bi pedal armored killing machine.   I really miss that. 

I am hoping SOE can get this one right or at least get the game dynamics to where everyone can enjoy the game. 

Let me know what you all think..

Mo

Mark of the Historian
Awarded:

Looks we all just need to roll hybrids and be done with it.

The newer mmo players want that "I'm the lone hero" feel, and want to take on large mobs at a time alone, without little or no interaction or the requirement to need other players help.

I have been this player at times, becoming sick of elitist jerks that will only approach a fight in a certain way for "easy and quick", to flat out terrible players that want all the rewards with none of the effort. These players have forced myself along with others to turn to this method just to enjoy a game.

I fear what we consider to be an mmorpg game is reaching an end. Changes to controls to become more "simple" and "action based", along with ease of access with no real thought process required to pick up and play. Faceroll on your keyboard and win types.

With the younger clientele being the focused future customers, the developers will have little choice then to conform and adapt to make a profit.

I'll stick to the trinity setup myself. And enjoy my sinking ship until the end!

Steam: arventas79 (Rob Foo)

Oxillion
Kindred
Mark of the Historian

Mark of the Historian
Awarded:

I think we are on that same ship.   There is a lot of scuttle butt on the forums about EQN going to the console side and I know it will after time but one can hope that won't happen.   I am not a console player never really have been.   I donated my XBOX and all my games to a family that had their house burn down. 

I am afraid you are right on the ease of use crowd has taken over.   I swear that lots will be the doom of us all.  God forbid you actually have to learn how to play something....I know I know I better stop now.  

Mo

Mark of the Historian

If they're going to have raiding and difficult group encounters, I don't know how anyone can make it work well without the trinity.  For me personally mmo's are getting overly complicated.  I hate crunching numbers to be effective.  And really hate action combat.  I think back to SWG.  There was no holy trinity in that game and I loved the heck out of it.  But there was no raiding and I actually had fun when I was grouped rather than stressed.

And there were no stats to manage.  I think of how EQ2 has gone from just strength/agility etc. stats to now having the right amount of multi-attack, crit chance, crit bonus, potency, ability casting speed, ability reuse speed. etc.  Heck you even get a warning when entering any of the latest expansion solo dungeons if your crit chance is less than 485 you may not want to continue.  And then we moved from armor with those stats on them, to having to add white adornments with additional stats, purple adornments with more stats, and more recently now we have gems that must also go on the armor for yet more stats.  

I guess I'm old and used to more simple game play.  Because it really boils down to that I want to be entertained for my subscription and not have it feel like an unpaid job.  Seeing decisions SOE has made in other games, I do have concerns they've lost sight of both the entertainment factor and the elements that unite a community rather than divide it.

Eyesadi
Legendary
Mark of the Historian

Mark of the Historian

Awarded:

Very well spoken Myst.  I feel the same way.  These days I play a game for enjoyment.  I play whats FUN for me.  And the more they complicate things the less inclined I will be to play a game.

LotRO's latest update took that wonderful step backwards.......Simplifying things a bit......And I'ma loving it.  When one must obtain a 4 year degree to properly play a game......Not so good!

I read lottsa boards for lottsa games.  It amazes me how some class "experts" now suggest skill rotations that woulda confused Einstein!  

I play my 30 to 40 hours a week and I have no desire to spent 39 of those hours poring over my skill rotations.  I wanna log in and HUNT.

Tho I am NOT a girl......."Boys just wanna have fun!"

Oxillion
Kindred
Mark of the Historian

Mark of the Historian
Awarded:

I can't see both points.   I also don't like the mess that started when WoW raiders took over.   Wrong stats your hosed.   Wrong gear ....sorry.   And my personal favorite was the endless rotations.   Raiding in WoW was hard enough and then GW2 popped in with its version.   Have you seen some of those?    

I am hoping that this new game brings back ease of play and the hardest thing to worry about is what color your going die your cape.   I can remember spending huge amounts of time with mods and elite guides trying to figure out what was the best way beat the mob or break your keyboard.   Key mashing and hoping you got it right was a stress pit.   I left raiding and PVP due to that   Fun?  Far from it.   

I guess I have high hopes for this game.  Game of EQ deserves it and frankly so do we the people that made it all happen.   If we didn't play the games go away.

Boy, I just am hoping this is what happens and does not turn into GW2.   

Mo

Jump to: