Post new topic   Reply to topic    Relics of Honor Forum Index -> General MMO Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Notja
Fabled
Mark of the Historian

Mark of the Historian
Awarded:

re: Now what?

Well, now that WoW's token system is in place, I guess I can stop playing. It's too bad, because I was really starting to enjoy it.

In the last two weeks I've tried FFXIV, The Secret World and Wildstar. Wildstar seemed to hold my interest the longest... 2 days.

Maybe I need a break before the next batch of MMO's come out. I might just stick with single player games for a bit.. who knows, but I feel like I'm playing the same game over.. and over.. and over.

Mystarra
Relic Keeper
Mark of the Historian

Mark of the Historian

What's the token system?  And why is that bad?

In that post about FFXIV, I think that's partly why I lasted a day.  I felt like I was doing the same thing just in a different setting.  Pick up a bunch of quests in town, run out and kill things, run back, etc.  Not sure what they could do differently, so maybe it's just me and having played too many MMO's.  Or maybe developers have run out of ideas.  Or maybe they need idea people to work with the developers.  It's two different talents and creativity isn't always linked to someone being able to develop.  Secret World hasn't gotten better either? I heard they changed some things to help new players get into it earlier on.  And with so many being free to play, some of the players I come across just make me cranky.  In the past year I think I only logged into ESO for one day.

Weird but I'm still playing Skyrim and have been for over a year now.  I just try different mods and builds to change things up.  And have done a few videos to showcase mods if the better video makers haven't done any.  No plans to play any MMO's coming up, although there's not many of them.  I did chip into the Kickstarter for Shroud of the Avatar a very long while back. I have access but don't log in there either.

So now what? I don't know!

Faynwen-Magnes
Fabled
Mark of the Historian

Mark of the Historian
Awarded:

I'm still playing WoW and enjoying it.  I'm not even going to bother with the new Token System and continue to sub as always.   I see people in "trade" talking about the AH and the tokens prices but that's about as close as I come to them. 

Awarded:

I'm confused as to why if you are enjoying the game you would stop playing because of the token system.

You can buy tokens for 30 days of game time from the Blizzard store for $20 and sell them on the auction house. The gold amount you receive when your token sells is set at the time you list it and you will get that amount regardless of what the price is at the time of sale. Blizzard controls the price which is based on supply and demand adjusted every hour. Initially it was set at 30,000 gold. By the time I got to the AH it had risen to 30,906. I bought 3 because I believe over time it will settle out around 35,000. It reached a peak of 31,218 Tuesday night and then fell throughout the day yesterday. I picked up 2 more for 22,860. The price bottomed out at 20,370 late last night and has been slowly rising since then. I wanted 4 more and had trouble buying them this morning. About 80% of the time when I clicked Buyout it told me there were none available. I eventually got my 4 between 21,624 and 22,502. The current price is 23,416 with none available for the time I've been writing this.

I believe the price decline was because of the number of people waiting anxiously for the new system who jumped in and bought the tokens for cash to get gold. Too many sellers drove the price down quickly. But once you have enough gold to get your garrison established its easy to make gold so selling tokens is not something people will do every month. I don't think over time there will be enough sellers to supply those of us with plenty of gold who want to play for free and need a token every month to do so.

I can't find anything at all detrimental with the token system. Obviously Blizzard didn't either or they would not have implemented it. If you don't like it, don't use it and there is nothing changed from the way you've been playing WoW. The people using it will not have any effect on your game play at all either as far as I know. I certainly won't. I'm still playing the way I always have just doing it for free the rest of the year. 

I hope you change your mind and continue playing WoW at least until something better comes along. Is that ever going to happen????

Last edited by Johanan on 2015/04/09 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Oxillion
Kindred
Mark of the Historian

Mark of the Historian
Awarded:

Still playing Landmark here....

Having a good time too boot.   I heard about the Token system and not sure what to make of it.  Here again I am stuck in the EQNL gravity well. 

Hope everyone is well.

Ox 

Mark of the Historian
Awarded:

I don't like the system because to me, it's a way for people to use real life money to buy gold. Sure, you don't have to participate, but it will give other players an unfair advantage. In my opinion, it's no different the the online gold sellers.

Johanan
Legendary

Awarded:

It definitely allows players to buy gold and the number of people doing so determines the gold cost of the tokens. Blizzard is now in competition with the gold sellers and they've given people a way to buy gold legally without the possibility of being ripped off or having their account hacked.

In World of Warcraft though I don't see gold buyers having an advantage. Better gear bought with gold would only give you an advantage in PvP not in PvE. Oh sure, it lets you get into higher level raids sooner than you might otherwise, but that doesn't harm me. People with more money than time can buy gear instead of farming it.

As for PvP where it would be an advantage in some games, its not in WoW. You can't buy PvP gear with gold. That takes Justice or Conquest points earned during PvP play. I guess you could use your purchased gold to pay someone to carry you through Arenas to earn your Conquest points but how many people good enough to be able to do that are you going to be able to find?

I still can't find any reason to dislike allowing folks that want to buy gold a safe way to do it. In fact, I hope a lot of people want to buy gold! The more token sellers there are the lower the price will be for tokens and the less gold I'll need to spend to play for free. Now if they will just let us buy the expansions for gold we really can play for free. LOL

Dumacles
Fabled
Mark of the Historian

Mark of the Historian

I'm still playing LoTRO and working my 4th character up to Level 40. Hopefully, I will have my three into Moria to join my original toon by Fall. Haven't really seen anything else that catches my fancy. I do have to say that I am glad Elder Scrolls is enjoying a resurgence. I won't be going back but I enjoyed my time there and have always loved the Elder Scrolls universe.

My trouble with MMO's now is that there really isn't any interaction between players. You can do pretty much everything on your own so nobody groups and the whole "social' aspect is hard to find. But that isn't a new trend and it will probably continue that way. Also, like most of us here, I'm getting older and don't really have the time to commit to serious gaming anymore. I don't suspect that will change anytime soon either.....

Mark of the Historian
Awarded:

I to do not see any real benefit or advantage to players buying gold. It has been going on for years anyways. However I cannot help shake this feeling that it is the beginning of the end for WoW and games like it. So many games have copied the WoW business style, and almost all of them that I can thing of have a free to play model in place now.

Like Dumacles mentioned, there really just isn't any interaction between players anymore. Raids sure. If you have the time and dedication. You can get into a Roleplaying guild, then at least guild events are possible if you are lucky. Even PvP is hit and miss anymore, depending on your teams current attitude.

I hope things turn around, but it looks unlikely. :(

Steam: arventas79 (Rob Foo)

Notja
Fabled
Mark of the Historian

Mark of the Historian
Awarded:

Arventas wrote:

I to do not see any real benefit or advantage to players buying gold. It has been going on for years anyways. However I cannot help shake this feeling that it is the beginning of the end for WoW and games like it. So many games have copied the WoW business style, and almost all of them that I can thing of have a free to play model in place now.

Like Dumacles mentioned, there really just isn't any interaction between players anymore. Raids sure. If you have the time and dedication. You can get into a Roleplaying guild, then at least guild events are possible if you are lucky. Even PvP is hit and miss anymore, depending on your teams current attitude.

I hope things turn around, but it looks unlikely. :(

I think we're just going to have to hold out for some of these indie MMO's that are in the works.. games like Camelot Unchained, Star Citizen and Pantheon.. and hope for the best.

Notja
Fabled
Mark of the Historian

Mark of the Historian
Awarded:

So, nobody has been in EQ1 orEQ2 except Takya, nobody has been in LOTRO, nobody has been in Rift... where the hell is everybody? Landmark?

Mystarra
Relic Keeper
Mark of the Historian

Mark of the Historian

I thought several were playing WoW spread across various servers?  Tkyle has been in EQ for a couple weeks on Cazic Thule server.  He just started two new characters (Nashe and Dathlan) there and seems to like the community more than Firiona Vie.

*corrected character name*

Last edited by Mystarra on 2015/05/17 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nashe
Tkyle
Relic Keeper
Mark of the Historian

Mark of the Historian

Hey Notja, yeah I just started fresh to see how a new server is. Also to see how it is to start with nothing again. lol   I'm really liking this server. During the week I won't be on much as I work crazy hours but look for me if you decide to roll a character here.  =)

Notja
Fabled
Mark of the Historian

Mark of the Historian
Awarded:

There are members playing on WoW on various servers.. and that's the problem.. they are all of various servers! Nobody wants to consolidate. I was playing on one server with some guildies but unfortunately they were hard to get online with because they are all East Coasters :)

Cazic Thule eh? I had rolled on Bristlebane because it seemed like one of the busiest servers, but I'll roll on Cazic. What did you make?

Nashe
Tkyle
Relic Keeper
Mark of the Historian

Mark of the Historian

I've got a Monk and Druid. Druid is in his 20's and Monk in his 30's. Monk is Dathlan and druid is Nashe.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Relics of Honor Forum Index -> General MMO Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: