Post new topic   Reply to topic    Relics of Honor Forum Index -> General MMO Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saggio
Sajjio
Kindred

re: Project Gorgon, Indie Old School MMO

While waiting for Archeage to release, I've been hunting around for other MMOs that I have overlooked that might fill some time.  I stumbled across a relatively unknown title that looks like it may have some promise.

Project Gorgon is being developed by a small independent team headed by two individuals that have prior MMO development experience with Everquest 2 and Asheron's Call 1 & 2.  They claim the game is inspired by EQ and Asheron's Call with some new ideas as well.

http://projectgorgon.com/

The graphics and animation are fairly basic as you might expect with a small team (roughly similar to EQ2), but there is some creativity and humor in the game play.  There are a few things that have stood out to me in my few hours of play.

1. No classes or character levels.  Everything is skill based so your character evolves based on the skills you choose to develop.  There do not appear to be any limits in the number of skills you can advance, although you'll naturally put more time into some than others.

2. Your relationship with NPCs is more complex than in most other games.  You can gain favor with them in a variety of ways which leads to a number of new skills and benefits.

3. Open exploration.  While the beginning area offers some tutorial hints, once you leave that area you're more or less on you own and free to explore the world and see what happens.

4.  The game is designed to be a PVE experience.  The developers are trying to create a cooperative culture, not a competitive one.  They may offer some optional PVP experiences for upper level characters in the future.

5. Novel death penalty.  The death penalty varies from no penalty in most situations to a significant penalty for unique situations (like fighting a boss).  You can decide the degree of risk you want to take.  You can also accumulate death experience which helps if you want to develop your necromancy skills.

Project Gorgon is still in development and will release late 2015, but you can dowload the client now and play for free at this point.  They indicated that while they may reset some skills and perhaps currency accumulated, they're going to do their best not to delete your characters and their progress. There appears to be a small but supportive community of players that exchange feedback actively with the developers.

Project Gorgon is about to go on Kickstarter to raise some funds.  I hope they have success, it would be good to see efforts like this which attempt to capture some of the positives of old games and also develop new ideas get some support.  For now, I think there is some fun to be had, although I'm still early in the game.  It did have the effect of "calling me back" once I logged off, which is often not the case with some of the newer MMOs.

Here's a nice video hot off the press from the lead designer indicating his ideas for the game along with some game footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrWTFJLTLfc

Last edited by Sajjio on 2014/08/05 3:36 pm; edited 5 times in total

“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.”
Eyesadi
Legendary
Mark of the Historian

Mark of the Historian

Awarded:

V-E-R-Y Interesting..........

Paetryn
Relic Council
Mark of the Historian

Mark of the Historian

We use to have someone in the guild (I believe he was playing EQ2) that left to make a game.  Has anyone heard from him?

The two main developers of Project Gorgon are Eric Heimburg and Sandra Powers.  She was a producer for EQ2.

Eric Heimburg

Eric has over a decade of experience as a Senior and Lead Engineer on such products as Asheron’s Call 2 as well as being Producer for AC2. In addition, he has impressive credentials as an MMO systems designer, most recently for the  MMO Star Trek Online.

Sandra Powers

From Lead Engineer and Game System Designer on Asheron’s Call to Producer on Asheron’s Call and EverQuest II, Sandra has done it all.

" I spent a year working with the exceptional minds on EQ2, finishing up the EverQuest II: Echoes of Faydwer expansion and getting a good start on the EverQuest II: Ruins of Kunark expansion, before Eric convinced me to join him in the exciting world of independent game development."

http://www.eldergame.com/about/

“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.”
Mystarra
Relic Keeper
Mark of the Historian

Mark of the Historian

Wow, surprised this is still around.  They tried a Kickstarter in 2012, which wasn't successful.  I tried it a couple years ago, but the graphics and starting experience in some cave were pretty awful then.  The models still seem bad but the rest of the graphics don't look too shabby now.

Hope they have better luck with their Kickstarter this time around.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Relics of Honor Forum Index -> General MMO Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: